Moist and tender grain free cake is layered with sweet, coconut sugar streusel and cinnamon apples to make a dairy free, gluten free, low calorie apple cinnamon coffee cake
Glass Mixing Bowls
- 1/2 cup Birch Bender Paleo Pancake Mix
- 2/3 cup brown coconut sugar (regular coconut sugar or brown sugar can be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup ghee or coconut oil (chilled)
- 1 ¾ cups Birch Bender Paleo Pancake Mix
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or water (any unsweetened nut milk can be substituted)
- 1/4 cup brown coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium cooking apples peeled and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
TO MAKE THE STREUSEL TOPPING:
Heat oven to 375°F. Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper. In a small bowl, mix ½ cup pancake mix, coconut sugar, and cinnamon and cut in the ghee or coconut oil, using a pastry blender or 2 forks, until crumbly; set aside.
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
In medium bowl, combine 1 ¾ cups pancake mix, almond milk, sugar and eggs. Stir until fully incorporated and let the batter sit for 3-5 minutes to thicken.
Spread half of the batter in the prepared pan. Spread the sliced apples evenly over the batter in the pan, then sprinkle with half of the streusel topping. Pour and spread the remaining batter over the apples and cinnamon. Top with the remaining streusel and the chopped nuts.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in the pan in the pan for 10-15 minutes. Use the parchment to pull out the cake and cut into 9 pieces.
Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 260mg | Potassium: 81mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 150IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 200mg | Iron: 1.6mg